Keeping samples free of dust and grease is the aim
The Nanolab is a "user friendly" cleanroom that maintains a particle count (class 10000, close to 1000) typically an order of magnitude lower than the air in the surrounding building. This is maintained via a number of precautions:
- cleanroom clothing consisting of antistatic coat, shoes and hair cover
- HEPA-filtered inlet air
- overpressure compared with surrounding rooms via control of in and out airflow
- most vacuum pumps, water circulators etc. located in service corridors
- sticky mats at entrance to rooms
- regular specialized cleaning
For work with vacuum systems and clean sample pieces, cleanroom gloves are worn.
These simple precautions are enough to maintain a practically sensible particle level while being convenient for users in terms of clothing.
For completely dust free handling of samples, spin-coating etc, several laminar flow benches are available both with and without exhaust for removal of solvent fumes.