Designed Synthesis and Assembly of Inorganic Nanomaterials for Energy and Soft-Electronics Applications
Time: Mon 2022-10-24 13.15 - 14.00
Participating: Professor Taeghwan Hyeon Director, Center for Nanoparticle Research, IBS, Korea
We present a synthesis of highly durable and active fuel cell electrocatalysts based on ordered fct-PtFe nanoparticles for oxygen reduction reaction.1 We report on the design and synthesis of highly active and stable Co-N4(O) moiety incorporated in nitrogen-doped graphene (Co1-NG(O)) that exhibits a record-high kinetic current density and mass activity with unprecedented stability (>110 h) for electrochemical hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) production.2 We synthesized various multimetallic heterostructured oxide nanomaterials and investigated their structure-property relationship in energy devices and catalysis.3 We report on the design and synthesis of highly active TiO2 photocatalysts incorporated with site-specific single copper atoms (Cu/TiO2) that exhibit reversible and cooperative photoactivation process, and enhancement of photocatalytic hydrogen generation and CO2 photoreduction activity.4 We synthesized multigrain nanocrystals consisting of Co3O4 nanocube cores and Mn3O4 shells.5 At the sharp edges of the Co3O4 nanocubes, we observed that tilt boundaries of the Mn3O4 grains exist in the form of disclinations, and we obtained a correlation between the defects and the resulting electrocatalytic ORR behavior.
We introduced electromechanical cardioplasty using an epicardial mesh made of electrically conductive and elastic Ag/Au nanowire-rubber composite material to resemble the innate cardiac tissue and confer cardiac conduction system function.6 We fabricated highly conductive and elastic nanomembrane for skin electronics.7 We demonstrated a wearable red-green-blue (RGB) colloidal quantum dot light-emitting diode (QD LED) array with high resolution using a novel intaglio transfer printing technique.8 We reported a novel device design and fabrication method using metal-based etch-stop layers and a laser-assisted patterning for 3D foldable quantum dot light-emitting diodes (QLEDs).9 Shape-tunable multiplexed phototransistor array was fabricated using an intrinsically stretchable and color-sensitive semiconducting nanocomposite consists of size-tuned quantum dots, blended in a semiconducting polymer within an elastomeric matrix.10
1. “Highly durable & active PtFe nanocatalyst for electrochemical oxygen reduction reaction,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2015, 137, 15478; “Direct Synthesis of Intermetallic Pt-Alloy Nanoparticles Highly-Loaded on Carbon Supports for Efficient Electrocatalysis,” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 142, 14190.
2. “Atomic-level tuning of Co-N-C catalyst for high-performance electrochemical H2O2 production,” Nature Mater. 2020, 19, 436.
3. “Design and Synthesis of Multigrain Nanocrystals via Geometric Misfit Strain,” Nature 2020, 359, 577; “Facet-defined strain-free spinel oxide for oxygen reduction electrocatalysis,” Nano Lett. 2022, 22, 3636–3644.; “Structural Insights into Multi-Metal Spinel Oxide Nanoparticles for Boosting Oxygen Reduction Electrocatalysis,” Adv. Mater. 2022, 34, 2107868.
4. “Reversible and cooperative photoactivation of single-atom Cu/TiO2 photocatalysts,” Nature Mater. 2019, 18, 620; “Electronic interaction between transition metal single-atoms and anatase TiO2 boosts CO2 photoreduction with H2O,” Energy Environ. Sci. 2022, 15, 601.
5. “Design and Synthesis of Multigrain Nanocrystals via Geometric Misfit Strain,” Nature 2020, 359, 577.
6. “Electromechanical cardioplasty using a wrapped elasto-conductive epicardial mesh,” Science Transl. Med. 2016, 8, 344ra86; “Highly conductive, stretchable, and biocompatible Ag-Au core-sheath nanowire composite for wearable and implantable bioelectronics,” Nature Nanotech. 2018, 13, 1048.
7. “Highly conductive and elastic nanomembrane for skin electronics,” Science 2021, 373, 1022.
8. “Wearable Red-Green-Blue Quantum Dot Light-Emitting Diode Array Using High Resolution Intaglio Transfer-Printing,” Nature Commun. 2015, 6, 7149.
9. “Three-dimensional foldable quantum dot light-emitting diodes,” Nature Electronics 2021, 4, 671.
10.“Shape-tunable multiplexed phototransistor array using stretchable color-sensitive QD nanocomposites,” Nature Nanotech. 2022, 17, 849.